About Us History
1884 - 1895
Established in 1884 as the Assiniboia Agricultural Association, our first fall fair brought together 150 community-minded individuals to exchange goods, information and experiences. The two-day event was held near today's Victoria Park and came just two years after the coming of the railway and the change of Regina's name from Pile-Of-Bones.
The fair remained local in nature until 1895, when the Dominion Government sponsored the Territorial Exhibition to stimulate interest in the North West Territories. The Fair's location moved to its present site that year to accommodate its exhibits and visitors.
The next fair was not held until 1899 under the new Regina Agricultural Association. Since 1899, the Fair has been an annual event.In 1905, the Fair was the focus of attention for the entire nation during the celebrations surrounding the inauguration of the Province of Saskatchewan into Confederation. In 1907, the Saskatchewan Legislature formally passed the Associations Act of Incorporation, the objectives of which were to exhibit products, goods, merchandise, machinery and paintings; to exhibit several breeds of horses and other animals by competitive tests, and to provide entertainment and amusement.
The next 40 years saw growth, construction of permanent facilities and ever-expanding volunteer participation. Midway rides and sideshows were added in the 1920's, as were automobile racing, professional baseball and giant horse pulling competitions. The biggest event was the two-week World Grain Show in 1933, which showcased exhibits from more than 40 countries.
1950 - 2002 and BeyondThe 1950's was a decade of development in which the Exhibition Auditorium, Jubilee Building, and paving of the midway were completed. In 1955, the Exhibition's theme was the celebration of the Province's Golden Jubilee. Fair attendance exceeded 200,000 for the first time.
With the 1960's came the adoption of the Buffalo Days theme. During the 1970's, the first annual Canadian Western Agribition was held (1971) as was the Silver Broom (1973). The Agridome opened in 1977 and the Western Canada Farm Progress Show was launched in 1978. In 1978 and 1982 the Buffalo Days Exhibition was named "Major Fair of the Year" by the Canadian Association of Exhibitions.
The Grain Show Building - 1933 to 2009The Grain Show Building opened in 1933 to great fanfare as the centrepiece of the World Grain Congress, which drew 200,000 visitors to Regina. Two-thirds of the building, a well-known landmark for generations of fairgoers, burned to the ground in a spectacular fire in 1955. That fire wiped out the west and south wings, leaving only the east wing standing.
On Sunday, June 14, 2009, the last remaining wing of the historic building was destroyed to a raging fire at approximately 7am.
Regina Exhibition Association Limited manages, maintains and markets Evraz Place, a 102-acre site with several multi-purpose buildings worth more than $40 million.
The Association, a non-profit volunteer organization, operates on an annual budget of $9 million and employs approximately 100 full-time and more than 400 part-time staff. The Board of Directors of the Association directs policies and activities. The Board is elected by the Association's shareholders (members). In addition, representatives from City Council and the Saskatchewan Department of Agriculture are appointed to the Board.